The town of Świnoujście
Świnoujście, the sea gateway for the entire Odra estuary region, located on Uznam Island. The first information of a settlement here appears in the 9th century; and municipal rights were given to the town in 18th century. Świnoujście was under Swedish rule from 1637-1720, then moving into Prussia hands.
The town became well known after the second half of 18th century due to its excellent port. With postwar period Świnoujście, at the mouth of the Świna River, developed naturally into a large port, It now specializes in the handling of bulk cargo and is the main and most convenient port in this part of the world for the handling of dry bulk cargoes, particularly coal, iron ore and aggregates. In addition, the company deals with general cargo. A ship repair yard also operates in Świnoujście.
Świnoujście is known and justifiably proud of the most modern ferry terminal in Poland, being one of the most important ferry terminal with its excellent location in the Baltic Sea region. It is the Polish leader in the handling of ferry traffic to and from Scandinavia both in terms of number of ferries and the size of passenger and cargo traffic.
In 1824 a spa was established (after the discovery in 1885 of salt springs in the town,) and Świnoujście became well known as an excellent health resort. Presently Świnoujście is the pearl of Baltic Seaside resorts.
Both holidaymakers and those under-going treatment for their health visit the many hotels, guest houses and sanatoriums. The world renowned summer students` Festival FAMA is held at the Municipal Culture Centre, on the promenade as well as on the beach. The events take place annually, with. concerts, openair theatre performances and art workshops attracting lovers of all kinds of excellent summer entertainment).